Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Faculty Spotlight: Derek Reid

Q: What is the most important (or few most important) thing(s) that you learned while on sabbatical? 

A: I learned more than I could ever describe without a lengthy conversation, but as I became reconnected with the professional dance world, I realized that there is so much wonderful dance being produced and a lot of wonderful artists producing it.

 

Q: How would you describe the technique you teach?

A: Classical ballet with an emphasis on self-awareness, alignment and connecting movement.

 

Q: How did dancing for Ballet Met compare to dancing at Dance Theater of Harlem?

A: DTH was a much larger company (around 60) that toured quite a bit, but had a limited rep. I experienced BalletMet later in my career, so my need for new and innovative work was my priority. I was able to grow as an artist in both places which I realize and value more now that my career is over. In retrospect, both places were critical in fulfilling my needs as a dancer an artist.

 

Q: What do you look for most in a student?

A: Passion

 

Q: How has having a family changed your perspective on dance?

A: Having a significant partner who shares your triumphs and failures is an experience that helps us evolve as people and recognize that evolution. Raising children is complicated. You’re faced with a constant barrage of decisions that you hope won’t destroy you or your children. I mean that figuratively and literally. With a family, I have come to appreciate life and its experiences. I wish that I had been mature enough to bring that appreciation into my dancing. Of course, that comes with maturity; something that I had little of when I was in my 20’s and have increased minutely over the last decade or so.

 

Q: What is your favorite type class to teach?

A: Ballet technique

 

Q: Motto on life: 

A: Observe as you live because you don’t want to miss your opportunities for happiness and fulfillment.



Optional-Anything else you would like students to know about you:

A: Butler is a great school. I love it and love teaching here. Enjoy every moment because this is a highpoint. There will be more to be sure, but don’t take this one for granted.

*Interview provided by Kate Webb, Sophomore Dance-Arts Administration major

No comments:

Post a Comment