Friday, April 11, 2014

Faculty Spotlight: Laura Byram, Adjunct Instructor of Dance

Q: What do you look for most in a student?
A: Self-motivation, a hunger, passion, and openness to learning, a positive attitude, and a strong work ethic.

Q: What are a few specific things you like to focus on in class?

A: Refinement of technique in order to produce optimal muscle memory, artistic development, musicality, and a wide range of movement qualities.  I also love to work on weight change. 

Q: How would describe your teaching style?

A: I use an integration of the Royal Academy of Dance, Vaganova, and Cecchetti methodologies.

Q: Do you have a go-to spot in Indianapolis (restaurant, store, theater)?
A: Keystone Arts movie theater, IRT, Clowes, and the Carmel Center for the Performing Arts.  Restaurants include:  Mediterrano CafĂ©, PF Chang's, and Ocean Prime.

Q: What is the most exciting thing you did this summer?

A: The birth of my first grandchild has been the most exciting  and awesome experience.  She fills our days with such joy and wonder.  Holding her in our arms is totally amazing!

Q: What is your favorite memory from your time as student at Butler?
A:  I would have to say one of my favorite Butler memories is sitting on stage in Clowes after a dress rehearsal for Leonard Berstein's Mass.  We were honored to have Mr. Bernstein, himself, sit with us, and critique our performance.

Q: If you were to have another career (however unlikely), what would it be?
A: I would love to be a physical therapist and work with dancers.  I love working with young people and I could use my dance background to help dancers get back to what they love to do.

Q: What's your favorite thing to listen to while you drive?

A: I love to listen to hip hop or anything current.

Q: Guilty pleasure?

A: Soaking up the sun on a beach or poolside preferably with a drink in my hand.  Some of the best beaches I have been to are Rio de Jainero and Cape Town.  I also loved lying on a roof top pool cruising down the Nile.

Q: Fictional Character you identify most with:
A: The Bionic Women.  With my titanium parts from my past surgeries, I would love to be able to do what Jaime Sommers (Lyndsay Wagner) could due in the TV show......climb and jump from tall buildings, run as fast as a train...... the ultimate in super, bionic body parts:)  Being able to dance again would be a wonderful bonus too:)

Q: Is there anything else that you would like for students to know about you?

A:  I would love for the students to know how much I love teaching and working with all of them.  They inspire me daily and rejuvenate my spirit.  Teaching is my passion and I feel extremely blessed to work with such gifted students.  It is an honor and a privilege to pass on my knowledge and expertise.

*Interview provided by Kate Webb, Sophomore Dance-Arts Administration major

No comments:

Post a Comment