Friday, April 18, 2014

Faculty Spotlight: Susan McGuire

1. What do you look for most in a student?

Appetite for moving, curiosity, initiative, and above all, drive; he or she has to love everything about the process of becoming a dancer, including the most difficult aspects. That varies from situation to situation, so be ready!
 
2. What do wish you had known about as a young dancer that you are now aware of?

Anger and frustration towards oneself and one’s body are totally counterproductive.

3. How would you describe the technique that you teach?

It is a hybrid modern technique rooted in the family tree of Cunningham and Graham techniques and Paul Taylor’s movement style, always with reference to the most systematic technique of all and my first language, ballet.

4.What is the most memorable thing Paul Taylor said to you?

“You dance with size.” He was not referring to my stature.

5. What were your favorite and least favorite roles you performed?

Least favorite: Anything of Martha’s or Paul’s that was not a masterpiece, and fortunately there were few of those.

Most favorite: Anything that allowed me to explore and then demonstrate the very different aspects of my dancing self. It didn’t have to be a principal role, although in a company as small as Paul’s there were plenty of those.

6. What is your favorite memory from your years of teaching at Butler?

I don’t have one favorite, and there are so many that I can’t recount them. But I do have favorite moments. One is when I feel that a class of first years is finally unified and beginning to understand my work. That is always an “and away we go” moment. Another moment, and this has happened twice, is when the dancers finally own a dance. I have set two of Paul’s most challenging masterworks on the students, “Cloven Kingdom” and “Le Sacre du Printemps”, and the moment that the whole thing comes together and is ready to go on stage is one of the most thrilling I have ever experienced. I have set his work on many professional companies, including on ABT four times, and while that is terribly exciting, of course, it cannot compare to getting students to professional level in a dance made for professionals. Then there are the daily satisfactions of teaching and coaching and sharing ideas with colleagues. I am a very lucky woman.

7. During the rare instances that you have free time, what do you like to do?

 I sometimes think that I could live outdoors, and cycling and hiking are two of my favorite things to do, especially now that I have two new and pain-free hips! As for indoor activities, spending time in good conversation with  good friends, including the members of my family,  is number one, then reading, listening to music and watching movies, not necessarily in that order.

8. What is the top thing on your bucket list?

I have toured all over the world, lived in New York City, Berlin and London, but the Adirondack State Park is my favorite place in the world besides NYC, and to be paddling a canoe on Blue Mountain Lake or hiking in the mountains is first on my list. It has been many years since I have been free to do that and I crave it!

9. Guilty pleasure?

Haagen Daz, of course!

10. Animal you most identify with?

Antelope

11. Anything else you would like the students to know about you?

There’s no place I’d rather be than right where I am.
 
*Faculty spotlight provided by Kate Webb, Sophomore Dance-Arts Administration major

No comments:

Post a Comment